Eregenekon indictment ready till Friday in 85 suspects-case

An indictment regarding Operation "Ergenekon" is expected to be sent to office of the chief prosecutor in Istanbul by the end of this week, legal authorities said on Tuesday.

Eregenekon indictment ready till Friday in 85 suspects-case

An alleged criminal network that came to be known as "Ergenekon" was revealed after police seized hand grenades, TNT explosives and fuses in a shanty house in Istanbul on June 12th, 2007 and Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office launched an investigation into weapons.

Legal authorities said that the indictment would be completed after it was transferred to the national judicial network project, and it would be presented to the Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office till Friday.

There are 85 suspects within the scope of the investigation. 48 of these suspects, including a retired general, Veli Kucuk, and Dogu Perincek, chairman of Workers' Party (IP), are in prison.

The 2,500-page indictment talks about the armed attack against the Council of State in 60 pages. It also includes the names of some persons killed in the attack.

Legal authorities also said that prosecutors would prepare an additional indictment regarding ten people, who were arrested recently including retired generals Sener Eruygur and Hursit Tolon, and Sinan Aygun, chairman of the Ankara Chamber of Commerce (ATO).

Before last week's detentions, police had arrested 49 people including Veli Kucuk, Dogu Perincek and businessman Kuddisi Okkir.

Kuddisi Okkir was released from prison due to his health problems last week, and died in the hospital.

Sener Eruygur, chairman of Kemalist Thought Association; retired general Hursit Tolon, ATO chairman Sinan Aygun, retired officers Hasan Atilla Ugur, Osman Gurbuz, Barbaros Hayrettin Altintas, Ibrahim Ozcan, Birol Basaran, Durmus Ali Ozoglu and Kemal Aydin were arrested last week.

Thus, the number of those sent to prison climbed to 58.

Eleven people, including Mustafa Balbay, the representative of Cumhuriyet newspaper in Ankara; Ufuk Buyukcelebi, the editor-in-chief of the "Halka ve Olaylara Tercuman" newspaper; Tunc Akkoc, the deputy chairman of Workers' Party Youth Branch; professor Ercument Ovali; author Erol Mutercimler; and Adnan Turkkan, a former chairman of the Turkish Youth Union; were released.

AA

Last Mod: 08 Temmuz 2008, 17:22
Add Comment