Gas leak leaves 164 hospitalized in Upper Egypt

At least 164 people were hospitalized after a chlorine gas leak in a water-filtering plant in Upper Egypt, the Egyptian Gazette newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Gas leak leaves 164 hospitalized in Upper Egypt
At least 164 people were hospitalized after a chlorine gas leak in a water-filtering plant in Upper Egypt, the Egyptian Gazette newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The incident occurred late Monday in the city of Akhmem in Sohag, some 500 km south of the capital of Cairo, when a two-meter long chlorine container exploded in the plant.

According to the report, chlorine gas leaked when the workers who thought it was empty tried to remove the container. Fumes released from the container choked at least 164 people, who were sent to two hospitals and treated for breathing difficulties.

The residents living in a nearby village were evacuated and the water supply in the city has not been affected by the accident. Medical sources said the hospitalized group was in good condition and they could be discharged later.

The gas leak of the container was under control and imposed no danger to the surrounding areas, the newspaper quoted police sources as saying.

Agencies
Last Mod: 30 Ağustos 2007, 10:36
Add Comment