Hamas tells Egypt, Israel invasion more threatening than Gaza

Hamas reminded Egypt of threat of decades of Israeli occupation while the country continues to build a border wall on the besieged Gaza Strip.

Hamas tells Egypt, Israel invasion more threatening than Gaza

 

World Bulletin / News Desk

Hamas reminded Egypt on Saturday of threat of decades of Israeli occupation while the country continues to build a border wall on the besieged Gaza Strip.

Egypt began the construction of a massive iron wall between 20 and 30 metres (70 and 100 feet) deep along its border with the Gaza Strip to halt Palestinians trying to overcome the difficulties of Israel siege. Egyptian officials say authorities have been installing steel tubes in the ground at several points on the border.

Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum said Irael invasion was more of a threat to the country than Gaza.

"Gaza does not represent a danger to anyone," Palestinian news agency quoted Barhoum as saying over the controversial wall.

"It is the duty of all of the Arab countries to work on thwarting the Israeli and US administration plans to suffocate the residents of Gaza and to work immediately on lifting the siege rather than tightening it."

Gaza is still considered under Israeli occupation as Israel controls air, sea and land access to the Strip.

"Crime against humanity"

Egypt had stationed about 200 policemen and increased armoured vehicle patrols along the length of the border and in areas where excavating is under way, the security source said.

"We have sent new forces from the police to the border with Gaza after repeated shooting from the Palestinian side," the source told Reuters.

Shots had been fired from the Palestinian side of the border at equipment in the area since Thursday, the source said. No injuries were reported.

Hamas official condemned the attempt as "crime against humanity"

"Building the wall will stop the transfer of food stuff, medicine and clothes to 1,500,000 residents of Gaza and it is considered as a crime against humanity," Barhoum told Fars News Agency.

It has been one year since Israel's attacks over Gaza. Israel launched on Dec. 27 a massive offensive in Gaza, killing nearly 1500 Palestinians, a third of them children, and wounded more than 5000. 1.5 million Gazans live under heavy Israel siege for a long time.

Egypt draws angers, insisting on not to opening the only Gaza border crossing, leaving Gazans desperate to digging tunnels underground and risking their lives since 2007.

A group of international lawyers and human rights activists had also accused Israel of committing "genocide" through its crippling blockade of the Strip.

Israel now faces UN war crimes report that particularly details Israel's alleged war crimes during the Gaza offensive.

 

Last Mod: 20 Aralık 2009, 18:43
Add Comment