Hong Kong police to charge man over acid attacks

Hong Kong police will soon charge a man for perpetrating a recent acid attack.

Hong Kong police to charge man over acid attacks

Hong Kong police will soon charge a man for perpetrating a recent acid attack in a busy Hong Kong shopping district, the first potential breakthrough after a spate of city-wide acid attack cases over the past year or so.

Police said they now had enough evidence to prove the 23-year-old suspect was responsible for an acid attack last month in a bustling street in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong island.

"According to testimony by the suspect and the seizure of a large amount of evidence from the suspect's home last night, we have sufficient evidence to believe the suspect carried out the crime," police superintendent Yu Tat-chung told reporters.

Yu added that the man had likely acted alone in the attack, but his motive remained unclear.

The man, clad in a black hood and handcuffs, was taken back to the crime scene on Thursday by police to re-enact how two bottles of corrosive liquid were tossed from a building onto the crowded area, injuring six people. A police spokeswoman said the man would likely be charged later today.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the suspect may have also masterminded a spate of other acid attacks that have targeted pedestrians in numerous districts and residential estates. Police, however, had previously indicated this possibility.

There have been at least eight acid attacks in Hong Kong since late 2008, injuring more than 100 people, most with chemical burns. None of the injuries resulted in death.

The latest attack took place in the Temple Street night market last weekend, injuring 30 people including nine tourists.


Reuters


Last Mod: 14 Ocak 2010, 15:03
Add Comment