India claims some Pakistani officials support Mumbai Attacks
Indian PM did not give any name of those suspected Pakistani officials.
Indian PM Singh told the press that Leskher-i-Taiba was behind the attacks, but 10 gunmen were not acting on their behalf.
Indian PM Manmohan Singh claimed that given the precision and sophistication of the attack, it must have had the support of some official agencies in Pakistan.
He did not give any name of those suspected Pakistani officials, but India has a long tradition of blaming Pakistan for any attacks. He added that Pakistan is unwilling, or at least unable to cope with the terrorists sheltering in their territories. "The more fragile a government, the more it tends to act in an irresponsible fashion" Singh continued. Pakistan has not replied to the accusations of Singh yet.
In the aftermath of the Mumbai Attacks, Pakistan redeployed its troops along India border, moving them from Afghanistan Border where they fight against gunmen. The rising tension after the attacks has tended to ease in the last week. Even the hardliner rightwing politicians in India have adopted a reconciliatory approach.
"Today even as Pakistan engages in whipping up war hysteria, our nation remains steadfastly united and if anything the process of national consolidation is becoming stronger," Singh told a security conference in New Delhi.
"There is enough evidence to show that, given the sophistication and military precision of the attack it must have had the support of some official agencies in Pakistan," Singh added.
The coordinated strikes in Mumbai by 10 gunmen killed 179 people, and have revived hostilities between the two countries that have fought three wars since 1947.
India handed over evidence on Monday to Pakistan that it said linked Pakistani militants to the Mumbai attacks, including data from satellite phones and the confession of a surviving attacker.
Agencies Last Mod: 06 Ocak 2009, 12:09