Iraq defended on Tuesday a British bomb detection device at the heart of a security scandal, but said manufacturers of fake or faulty devices would be sued.
After a number of huge blasts killing hundreds in Baghdad in recent months, Iraq's government was seized by reports that the ADE651 bomb detection devices used across the city and purchased from a UK-based company, were practically useless.
Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh, in a statement, said that most of the devices had been found to be effective.
"The majority of the devices are of authentic origin and are fit for use, and some of them are fakes and do not work and have been withdrawn and replaced," al-Dabbagh said in a statement.
In January, Britain's Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said it would ban exports of the device to Iraq and Afghanistan, which is marketed by British firm ATSC.
British police had said they had arrested on suspicion of fraud a 53-year-old man from Yeovil in western England, where ATSC has its registered office.
Dabbagh, speaking after an investigation into the devices, said Iraq would pursue those behind faulty or fake devices.
"Those who took part in purchasing, importing and receiving of the fake and non-functioning devices will be investigated and sued, and the manufacturing company will be pursued."
It was unclear whether Iraq bought ADE651 devices from just one source or several sources, and whether it had bought similar devices from other firms.
Iraq spent millions of dollars on the devices, which are shaped like a pistol and feature a swivelling antenna meant to point at explosives.
Iraqi lawmakers have demanded that security forces stop using the detectors and that Iraq try to get its money back.
ReutersLast Mod: 23 Şubat 2010, 22:15