Another 313 Palestinians of the thousands stranded in Egypt crossed into Israel on their way to Gaza on Monday, while Israeli authorities have approved the entry of another 1,000.
"Israel has agreed to allow an additional 1,000 Palestinians in Egypt to cross," Hani Jabbour, a Palestinian security coordinator on the Egyptian side of the divided border town of Rafah, told reporters.
Israel initially approved the entry of only 627 of the estimated 6,000 Palestinians stranded in Egypt when the Rafah crossing to the Gaza Strip was sealed in the wake of Hamas' takeover in June.
Of those, 413 have now entered Israel through the Al-Oja/Nizana cargo point south of the Rafah crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip, from where they are taken through Israel to the Erez terminal in the north of the strip.
The fate of the remaining Palestinians remains in limbo as does that of the 107 Palestinians stranded at El-Arish airport who protested that they had been forgotten.
"They threw glass bottles breaking airport windows and glass doors," an airport security source told AFP Monday.
The Rafah terminal -- Gaza's only door to the outside world that bypasses Israel -- has been shut by Israel on June 15.
Hamas has objected to the Jewish state being able to control who is allowed to travel from Egypt into Gaza.
Last Mod: 31 Temmuz 2007, 11:22