Israeli soldiers broke into a major commercial complex in Nablus, northern Gaza Strip on Monday and it is reported this is the third incident of this kind at the same complex.
Palestinian security sources stated Israeli forces closed down the complex and announced it is now "property" of the Israeli army. A group of soldiers blasted the entrance after a search, they added.
The Israeli army also closed down a number of charitable and medical centers, confiscated a number of school buses, and arrested 5 Palestinians in Askar refugee camp close to Nablus, Kuwaiti news agency reported.
A Nablus Governorate statement said a delegation of the executive committee of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) will go on a tour of the city, including the said mall, in an expression of protest over the hostile acts of the Israeli Army against the city and its institutions.
Prime Minister Salam Fayyad called on Palestinians last week to ignore an Israeli army attempt to shut down a major commercial centre in Nablus.
"Shopkeepers are invited to open their stores and ignore the Israeli decision," Fayyad said. "The Israeli army orders and decisions are not valid ... We will deal with them as if they don't exist."
Fayyad said also that he sent a letter to an American peace monitor complaining that recent Israeli military raids in the West Bank undermine his administration.
"I'm fed up with all that has been said of the Israeli intention of easing restrictions" in the West Bank, Fayyad said.
"Israel increased its military actions by 50 percent in the first half of this month compared to the same period last month. What does that mean if not that Israel is trying to undermine the Palestinian Authority?"
Last Mod: 14 Temmuz 2008, 14:37