Italian man apologises for Berlusconi attack

Lawyers for Massimo Tartaglia said the 42-year-old attacker acted alone and without any "political or militant interests."

Italian man apologises for Berlusconi attack

An Italian man who broke Silvio Berlusconi's nose and teeth by striking him with a souvenir model has apologised to the Italian prime minister for his "cowardly and rash act", the attacker's lawyers said.

Berlusconi, 73, who allies say was left badly shaken and upset by the Sunday attack at a Milan rally, will be discharged from hospital on Wednesday but must rest for at least two weeks, his personal doctor said on Tuesday.

Lawyers for Massimo Tartaglia said the 42-year-old attacker acted alone and without any "political or militant interests."

In a letter sent to Berlusconi from his jail cell, Tartaglia expressed "heartfelt regret for a superficial, cowardly and rash act in which he did not recognise himself", his lawyers said.

Tartaglia, who has a history of mental illness, had been waiting at the rally square since morning in preparation for the evening attack and also carried pepper spray and a crucifix made of resin, Interior Minister Roberto Maroni told parliament.

The small, spiked replica of Milan's gothic cathedral that Tartaglia hurled at the premier from close range while he signed autographs was purchased at a booth at the square, Maroni said.

Maroni said security forces could not be blamed for failing to prevent the attack.



Reuters

Last Mod: 15 Aralık 2009, 14:08
Add Comment