French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner continued to carry out damage control on his recent comments regarding Iran, being quoted Thursday as saying they had been misunderstood.
"I was so misunderstood that it is time to reestablish the candor and clarity of my approach," Kouchner said in an interview published in the daily Le Figaro. "We are not against a dialogue with the Iranians. On the contrary. We have always maintained one."
Kouchner's comments, made Sunday on French television, that the world should prepare for a war with Iran over its nuclear program provoked outrage in many European capitals.
Kouchner told Le Figaro that it was France's intention to play the role of intermediary in the crisis and to look for a negotiated resolution "on the basis of a suspension of (Iran's) uranium enrichment program."
He also said that his "greatest wish" was that the UN Security Council pass a program of sanctions against Iran. However, this will not prevent Paris from "preparing targeted sanctions with our European partners," Kouchner said.
The French foreign minister will travel to Washington to meet on Friday with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, with Iran at the top of their agenda.
Last Mod: 20 Eylül 2007, 15:12