Lebanon, Israel deny new rocket reports

Israel military and Lebanon denied the reports of second rocket salvo.

Lebanon, Israel deny new rocket reports
Israel military and Lebanon denied the reports of second rocket salvo as The commander of UN peacekeepers in Lebanon called for "maximum restraint" in Lebanon.

The Lebanese army denied that a new rocket had been fired from southern Lebanon into Israel on Thursday.

A Lebanese army source said it was a sonic boom.

The Israeli military said "that a second rocket salvo from Lebanon that was reported by Israeli media may in fact have been a sonic boom from a jet aircraft."

Three hours earlier, three rockets fired from Lebanon hit Israel. But reports of another rocket around 11 a.m. (0800 GMT) were "apparently prompted by a sonic boom," an army spokesman said. Israeli aircraft flew over southern Lebanon.

A spokesman for the peacekeeping force said "the peacekeepers, known as UNIFIL, had taken immediate steps to identify the perpetrators and deployed additional troops".

The Lebanese army had also deployed extra troops.



Agencies
Last Mod: 08 Ocak 2009, 14:09
Add Comment