Several dozen skeletons have been exhumed from two mass graves in Bosnia believed to contain victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, a judicial official said Wednesday.
Four complete and 44 incomplete skeletons were uncovered in one mass grave in the Zeleni Jadar area, 15 kilometres (10 miles) south of Srebrenica, Jasna Subotic, spokeswoman for the local prosecutor’s office, said.
The remains were found crushed and compressed -- suggesting that the bodies might have been interred elsewhere, then exhumed and re-buried with the use of bulldozers in a bid to conceal their fate.
‘The remains are so badly damaged that it is even possible that they have been reburied twice,’ Subotic said, adding that forensic experts had also collected two bags of small bone fragments.
Earlier this week, a smaller mass grave -- near the Potocari memorial cemetery where more than 2,400 identified Srebrenica victims lie buried -- was found, with five remains plus several detached bones, the spokeswoman said.
Bosnian Serbs overran the UN-protected Muslim enclave of Srebrenica, in the east of Bosnia-Herzegovina near the Serbian border, near the end of the 1992-95 Bosnian war and summarily killed some 8,000 Muslim men and boys.
It was the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II, and has been deemed by the UN war crimes tribunal and the International Court of Justice to have constituted genocide.
Bosnia Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic and his military commander Ratko Mladic have both been indicted by the UN tribunal in connection with Srebrenica, but have yet to be caught and sent for trial in The Hague.
Thousands of Srebrenica victims have been exhumed from about 60 mass graves in the vicinity of the town, with more than 2,500 of them having been identified by DNA analysis.
Last Mod: 27 Haziran 2007, 21:31