The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has asked two foreign groups to help monitor the huge number of unexploded mortar shells and explosives in Mindanao, GMA news reported.
An article on the MILF website (www.luwaran.net) said the MILF made the call to the Geneva Call (GC) and the Philippine Campaign to Ban Landmines (PCBL) to help in the monitoring.
It said there is a huge number of unexploded bombs of 60mm and 81mm mortars, 105 and 106 howitzers as well bombs dropped by planes and jet fighters of Philippines army in Mindanao.
MILF secretariat chairman Muhammad Ameen urged the Geneva Call and the PCBL to include in their campaign not only the ban on the use of landmines but also to work out a scheme that the government must be held responsible for the cleaning up of unexploded bombs.
The MILF signed a Deed of Commitment with the GC and the PCBL, the former in 1998 and the latter just late last year.
The MILF said its call came in the wake of the death of three children and the wounding of five others last March 3 in Maguindanao province.
It said the explosion stemmed from a bomb left behind by the government assault on the MILF.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Nisan 2009, 08:49