Israeli opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed an air operation in Syria about two weeks ago, breaking the blackout Israeli officials have been remaining on the alleged airstrike.
In an interview with Israeli Channel 1 TV, Netanyahu said that he had been a partner with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in the decision to launch the operation in Syria.
Netanyahu said he had not only supported the prime minister's decision but also personally praised him for the initiative.
On Sept. 6, Syrian defense forces announced that they opened fire on Israeli aircraft after they flew over northern Syria and dropped ammunition.
Israel has maintaining a blackout on the circumstances of the alleged flyover since then, while Western media was speculating that Israel had launched a covert airstrike against targets in Syria.
Syria's UN ambassador Bashar Ja'afari has complained to the United Nations on the Israeli violation of its airspace, sending letters to UN chief Ban Ki-moon and France's UN ambassador Jean-Maurice Ripert, the UN Security Council's current president.
Last Mod: 20 Eylül 2007, 17:14