Hundreds of Egyptians protesting against a series of forced demolitions of unoccupied residential buildings in Cairo clashed with security forces on Tuesday, and one person was killed, security sources said.
Dozens of protesters and at least 17 security men were also injured in the clashes in the Nasr City suburb of the Egyptian capital, including two senior officers, the sources said. One of officers was in a coma and the other suffered spinal injuries.
Protesters blocked roads leading to buildings in Nasr City, targeted by a government demolition campaign that began last week to tear down residential buildings constructed in violation of permit regulations.
Clashes soon broke out after protesters, some of whom had bought apartments in the buildings slated for demolition, threw stones at security men guarding the work. Security forces responded by beating them with batons, witnesses said.
Security sources said a 60-year-old man who had heart problems died after being beaten. Two police cars and a number of private vehicles were destroyed.
The Cairo governorate said in a statement that the demolition campaign targeted buildings erected on state land, and that the buildings were not yet inhabited.
Last Mod: 15 Aralık 2009, 21:45