Patraeus says US to double military aid for Yemen attacks
A U.S. military commander said US will more than double its nearly $70 million miliatry assistance program for Yemen.
A U.S. military commander said on Friday the United States will more than double its nearly $70 million miliatry assistance program for Yemen.
"We have, it's well known, about $70 million in security assistance last year. That will more than double this coming year," General David Petraeus, the head of the U.S. Central Command, said at a news conference in Baghdad.
The Pentagon's main publicly disclosed military program for Yemen grew from $4.6 million in fiscal 2006 to $67 million in fiscal 2009. That figure does not include covert, classified assistance that the United States has provided.
Analists express doubts that military plans could make Yemen future Afghanistan.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a Northwest Airlines plane as it approached Detroit with nearly 300 people on board.
Petraeus noted the Yemeni government's efforts against "al Qaeda" and said the United States had enabled them through the military assistance program.
"Indeed there has been sharing of intelligence and information and so forth," he said. "(It's a) two-way street because the intelligence sources of Yemen are very, very good."
Reuters Last Mod: 03 Ocak 2010, 10:23