Despite earlier plans Poland will not expand its 1,600-strong contingent in Afghanistan because of budget cuts linked to the global economic crisis, the defence minister was quoted as saying on Saturday.
Earlier this month Defence Minister Bogdan Klich said Poland would withdraw troops from peacekeeping missions in Chad, Lebanon and the Golan Heights as part of the centre-right government's plan to cut budget spending by 19.7 billion zlotys.
He had said in January that Poland, which joined NATO in 1999 and the European Union in 2004, would review the NATO-led Afghan forces and might increase its force there by 400-600 troops.
On Saturday he made clear the Afghan contingent would not be strengthened. "We can't afford (to send more troops to Afghanistan)," the daily Gazeta Wyborcza quoted Klich as saying.
Last Mod: 15 Şubat 2009, 11:47