Qaeda says war with US, not army at rare Yemen rally

Al Jazeera television showed footage of the fighter addressing the crowd while an armed comrade stood by as a bodyguard.

Qaeda says war with US, not army at rare Yemen rally

Suspected al-Qaeda commanders made a rare public appearance in south Yemen on Monday, telling an anti-government rally that the group's war was with the United States and not the Yemeni army, residents said.

"Soldiers, you should know that there is no problem between us and you. The problem is between us and America and its lackeys," residents quoted one fighter as telling hundreds of people gathered to protest against the killing of dozens of civilians in government raids backed by US last week.

Al Jazeera television showed footage of the fighter addressing the crowd while an armed comrade stood by as a bodyguard. Both were unmasked.

An explosion killed three people during the protest, held at a suspected al Qaeda training camp bombed during Thursday's raids in southern Abyan province.

Yemen said on Thursday its security forces and warplanes had foiled a planned series of suicide bombings by attacking targets including the al Qaeda training centre.

About 30 "al Qaeda militants" were killed and 17 arrested in Abyan and in Arhab, northeast of the capital Sanaa, it said.

Protesters say about 50 people were killed, most of them civilians.

The New York Times said on Saturday that the United States gave military hardware, intelligence and other support to Yemeni forces to carry out the raids.



Agencies

Last Mod: 22 Aralık 2009, 15:23
Add Comment