Saudi mulling Yemen Houthis' truce offer

Saudi Arabia is considering a truce offer by Yemen Houthis to end fighting with the kingdom's forces in the Yemen-Saudi border area.

Saudi mulling Yemen Houthis' truce offer

Saudi Arabia is considering a truce offer by Yemen Houthis to end fighting with the kingdom's forces in the Yemen-Saudi border area, and plans to take a decision later on Tuesday, a Saudi defence ministry spokesman said.

The leader of Yemeni Houthi announced on Monday the withdrawal of Zaidi fighters from positions they had been occupying inside Saudi Arabia since fighting broke out in November.

"We announce our full withdrawal from all Saudi territory," said Abdul Malak al-Huthi in an audio message.

"The truce offer is being examined and we will make an official decision later today," Saudi defence ministry spokesman General Ibrahim al-Malek said.

"To avoid more bloodshed and to stop aggression on civilians ... we offer this initiative," Houthi said in an audio recording posted on the Internet.

Houthi warned that if Saudi Arabia did not end its hostilities in return, the fighters would wage an "open war" on the kingdom.


Reuters


Related news reports:

Yemen Houthis "withdrawing from Saudi land"

 

Last Mod: 26 Ocak 2010, 18:35
Add Comment