A planned visit to Saudi Arabia by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem, the first since a public row between the two countries last month, has been cancelled, a Saudi official said on Tuesday.
'The scheduled visit has been cancelled,' the official told AFP, without giving any reasons.
Muallem had been expected to hold talks on Tuesday with King Abdullah in the Red Sea city of Jeddah and give him a message from Syrian President Bashar Al Assad.
Tensions between Riyadh and Damascus erupted into a public row in mid-August, when Syrian Vice President Faruq Al Shara claimed that the oil-rich kingdom's regional role had become paralysed.
Riyadh retorted that Damascus was trying to stoke disorder in the region.
Syria moved to calm the row, with an official saying Shara's statements had been 'unjustly distorted.'
Last Mod: 11 Eylül 2007, 17:13