Serb war criminal Karadzic trial could begin on Oct. 19

Bosnian Serb Karadzic could go on trial as early as Oct. 19 for war crimes and crimes against humanity, the pre-trial judge said.

Serb war criminal Karadzic trial could begin on Oct. 19

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic could go on trial as early as Oct. 19 for war crimes and crimes against humanity, the pre-trial judge of the tribunal overseeing his case said on Tuesday.

Karadzic, the most prominent figure being prosecuted for crimes during the 1992-95 Bosnian war, had been fugitive during 11 years and was captured over a year ago.

He asked last week for the trial to be delayed by at least 10 months.

Judge O-Gon Kwon proposed a start date of Oct. 19, assuming that all pending filings are resolved by then, and scheduled another pre-trial conference for Oct. 6.

The trial, which Kwon said should take no more than two and a half years, will take place at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.

Karadzic faces 11 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, including two of genocide. Karadzic and General Ratko Mladic, who is still at large, face genocide charges over the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys and the 43-month siege of Sarajevo.

Reuters
Last Mod: 09 Eylül 2009, 11:03
Add Comment