The National Court in Spain has accepted a Palestinian court suit that was filed less than a month ago against the Israeli officials who authorized the al-Daraj bloodshed.
The list includes Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, the Israeli cabinet Minister of Infrastructures, and former commanders of the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) chief of staff Lt.-Gen. (res.) Moshe Yaalon, IAF chief Lt.-Gen. (res.) Dan Halutz (also a former Chief of Staff), Southern District Commander Gen. (res.) Doron Almog, former National Security Council head Gen. (res.) Giora Eiland, and Ben-Eliezer's military advisor Mike Herzog for overseeing the murder of leading Palestinian anti-occupation activist Salah Shehada.
The Spanish court is not alone in hearing a case against the Israeli war criminals; the courts of Britain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and New Zealand had all previously accepted cases against the Israeli military.
Those charged would be arrested upon entering Spanish territory if the case is successful.
The suit was filed in Spain by the Palestinian Committee for Human Rights (PCHR), which said that the one-ton bomb was too powerful to be dropped on a residential neighborhood.
The PCHR filed the suit on behalf of six Palestinians who survived a 2002 bombing of a building in the Daraj neighborhood of Gaza City in which 15 civilians were killed.
The PCHR spokesman said on Tuesday that the group is waiting to see that justice and moral compensation will come to the victims and the perpetrators of such a hideous crime will face the bitter consequence of their act.
Shehada was killed in an Israel Air Force strike in July 2002. 14 civilians were also killed including his wife, children and elderly people.
An Israeli fighter jet dropped a one-ton bomb over the Gaza neighborhood of al-Daraj on July 22, 2002. The bombing left fifteen Palestinians dead, including eight children and three women; more than one hundred and fifty others were also wounded in the attack.
The strike drew widespread international condemnation for the high civilian death toll.
This is the first time survivors of an Israeli military attack have filed a lawsuit in Spain against members of the Israeli military.
The National Court of Spain has accepted the case for further examination, the first step towards launching a formal prosecution.
Last Mod: 24 Temmuz 2008, 08:42