Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, who was charged with genocide in Darfur, denied claims on Wednesday, saying the move by the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) encouraged those who do not want peace.
Last month, the chief prosecutor of the ICC has filed genocide charges against Sudan's president for a five-year campaign of violence that killed 300,000 in Darfur. The United Nations estimates 2.5 million people have been forced from their homes in Darfur. ICC prosecutor urged a three-judge panel to issue an arrest warrant for al-Bashir to prevent the deaths of about 2.5 million people in Darfur.
Al-Bashir said genocide claims were propaganda made by "enemies".
"If those figures were accurate, there should be mass graves. Where are those mass graves?" al-Bashir told a news conference in Istanbul where he attended the Turkey-Africa Cooperation Summit.
"It is true that people were killed, but figures are inflated," he said. "It is true that there is a war between the government and rebels, but why is that rebels against the government are considered downtrodden. It is double standard."
Al-Bashir said his country had always kept doors open for peace and dialogue, stating that they were fighting powers who wanted to divide Sudan.
He said shariah rules Sudan and added that his country would not hand over any Sudanese citizen to an international court.
Last Mod: 20 Ağustos 2008, 18:46