Turkey releases all 8 suspects in assassination plot probe

All eight Turkish soldiers detained in an investigation into a possible anti-government conspiracy were released without charge.

Turkey releases all 8 suspects in assassination plot probe

Eight Turkish soldiers held in an investigation into a possible anti-government conspiracy were released without charge on Tuesday.

State-run Anatolian news agency said a court released three soldiers whom a prosecutor had asked to be remanded in custody in a probe which triggered media reports of a plot to kill a deputy prime minister.

The prosecutor had earlier released the other five of the soldiers who were detained on Saturday.

Turkey's powerful military said earlier it had no objections to searches which judicial officials have carried out since Saturday at the headquarters of a special forces unit in connection with the probe.

A civilian search of a military facility was the first time the authorities had dared take such action.

The military said in a statement it had acquiesced to the probe taking place at the Special Forces' Tactical Mobilisation Group's command centre in the capital Ankara, although the section being searched held documents containing state secrets.

"The search is totally within the legal framework, and it's understood that it will continue for some more time," the military said.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has met military commanders several times in the past days and on Sunday denied any tensions with the armed forces.

The case erupted on Dec. 19, when police detained a colonel and a major whose car had been seen several times passing by the deputy prime minister's residence in the capital Ankara.

Despite the officers being released, Turkish media reported that they were suspected of plotting to assassinate Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc.

The media said the two men were detained again on Saturday, along with six others from special forces taken in for questioning.

Arinc said on Monday there was evidence that some people had "possible bad intentions", adding that it was inaccurate to describe it as an assassination attempt.

The media has reported that soldiers at the command centre were initially obstructive when the police first sought entry on Saturday, and the state prosecutor in charge of the operation had been barred from taking sensitive material out of the facility and was having to document each step of the search.



Reuters

Last Mod: 30 Aralık 2009, 11:08
Add Comment