Turkey's Ergenekon operation continues with 7th wave

The number of detainees reached 26 within the scope of Ergenekon investigation, authorities said on Wednesday.

Turkey's Ergenekon operation continues with 7th wave
The number of detainees reached 26 within the scope of Ergenekon investigation, authorities said on Wednesday.

Police detained 13 people in central province of Konya, five in Istanbul, six in northwestern province of Kocaeli, one in southern province of Mersin and one in eastern province of Elazig in Ergenekon probe.

All suspects would be interrogated in Konya, authorities said.

An alleged criminal network that came to be known as "Ergenekon" was revealed after police seized hand grenades, TNT explosives and fuses in a shanty house in Istanbul on June 12th, 2007. Several Turkish figures, including retired senior army officers, were detained and sent to prison within the scope of the investigation.

The indictment regarding the operation "Ergenekon" was filed at an Istanbul court last week, indicting 86 people on charges of attempting to overthrow Turkish government. The 2455-page indictment includes 86 suspects, 48 of whom are in prison.

Prosecutors accuse the suspects of "being members of an armed terrorist organization, aiding the armed terrorist organization, attempting to overthrow Turkish government by force, inciting people to armed insurgency, possessing and throwing explosives, instigating these crimes, instigating the attack on Council of State and bombing of daily Cumhuriyet, having secret documents on state security, recording personal data, encouraging military disobedience, inciting people to enmity and animosity."



AA
Last Mod: 23 Temmuz 2008, 14:42
Add Comment