Turkey's EU bid process continuing without interruption: FM
Turkish FM Babacan noted that Turkey's target in EU process was full membership on equal status with 27 EU-member states.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan said on Saturday that Turkey's EU membership process was continuing without interruption.
Babacan and Chief Negotiator for the EU talks Egemen Bagis met with executives of Turkish public management at EU Secretariat General in Ankara to discuss the activities for the implementation of National Program.
Babacan said that the new National Program, which was prepared within the scope of the EU accession process, was issued in Official Gazette on December 31, 2008.
He noted that Turkey's target in EU process was full membership on equal status with 27 EU-member states.
Noting that Turkey had fulfilled many reforms so far, Babacan said that Turkey met Copenhagen criteria. He added that political reforms continued after 2004.
Babacan said that currently 10 chapter headings were formally opened to negotiations with Turkey.
He said that reforms were not concessions given to the EU, adding that those reforms would increase the standards of Turkish people.
Chief Negotiator for EU talks Bagis said that the government had fulfilled many important activities regarding the EU process in the last seven years, adding that the biggest investment was made to Turkish democracy.
He said that they would work together to implement National Program in 2009.
Bagis also said that he would meet with the EU ambassadors in Ankara on January 27.
AA Last Mod: 24 Ocak 2009, 16:54