Turkey's top general talks for first time over alleged coup plot

According to the alleged plan, aimed to create a chaos in Turkey through a series of violent attacks that would eventually lead to a military coup.

Turkey's top general talks for first time over alleged coup plot

Chief of Turkish General Staff, General Ilker Basbug, said Monday the Turkish Land Forces continued to investigate allegations of "Balyoz Coup Plan" (Sledgehammer).

Turkish military accepts the existence of a plan allegedly aimed at discrediting the government, but denies it was a coup plot that included arrests of dozens of Journalists whose names emerged on media.

Anadolu news agency said, General Basbug answered questions of the press corps after a ceremony held in Ankara to remember late Turkish General Kazim Karabekir.

Reminding Karabekir's comments that "wrong information is a source of disaster, everyone should learn the truth and then debate", General Basbug said that he believed Turkey needed to pay attention to such comments of Karabekir today.

"We say that the most ideal matter in democracies was for administrations to change by elections and democratic means. Who benefits from the presence of coup allegations on the country's agenda?" General Basbug asked.

All allegations pertaining to the "Balyoz Plan" involved a military exercise seven years ago, General Basbug said.

According to the alleged plan, aimed to create a chaos in Turkey through a series of violent attacks that would eventually lead to a military coup.

We expect the Land Forces to complete the investigation on the 'Balyoz Plan' in about a week. It would not be right to delay the conclusion of the investigation. We will share the results with you, Gen. Basbug stressed.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) orders soldiers to attack by loudly saying "Allah, Allah". How can such a TSK plan bombing a mosque? Such an allegation is unfair and I curse them, General Basbug said.

As the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK), we are obligated to give correct and healthy information to the Turkish public, Gen. Basbug noted.

Investigating an issue does not imply accepting the allegations, Gen. Basbug said.

There is a limit to the patience of the TSK, Gen. Basbug also said.

61 investigations have been launched in the TSK to date on leakage of information. Nine of the investigations have become court cases. An officer placed in prison for a term of three years has been dismissed from the TSK. Currently, there are 10 military personnel charged with leaking information, General Basbug said.

Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, "we did not bow to this dirty games, dirty relations, these illegal attempt, and we will not," in a first response from the government over the alleged coup plot last week.


Agencies


Related news reports:

Turkey's PM Erdogan says not to bow to "dirty games"

Turkish army accepts plan, journalists on alleged coup plot named

Last Mod: 26 Ocak 2010, 09:48
Add Comment