Turkish army official says military 'never carried out illegal acts'

Gen. Cubuklu's remarks came after searches at the Mobilization Regional Directorate in Ankara.

Turkish army official says military 'never carried out illegal acts'

The Turkish General Staff said on Friday that the attitude of the army towards searches at a top secret military zone indicated that the army "respected laws."

Gen. Hifzi Cubuklu, a top legal adviser to the military, said that the armed forces had not objected to searches at the Mobilization Regional Directorate to show that it had nothing to hide, and to prevent remarks of some ill-minded persons and groups, particularly some media organs, that "some things were hushed up, and some documents were hidden."

"What has been experienced in this process is the open indicator of Turkish Armed Forces' respect to law," Cubuklu told a weekly press briefing in Ankara.

Gen. Cubuklu's remarks came after searches at the Mobilization Regional Directorate in Ankara. The searches began on December 25, 2009 and ended on January 20, 1010.

Eight officers were detained in the searches that were launched on charges of "attempting to assassinate Deputy Prime Minister and State Minister Bulent Arinc". Then, the officers were accused of "setting up and leading an armed organization, and attempting to commit a crime against the government."

All of them were released afterwards.

Also, Cubuklu also said principle of security in some top secret plans were "violated" during the searches, and plans that lost their validity would therefore be cancelled.

Cubuklu said the incidents were "exaggerated" and "distorted", and reflected to the public in a prejudiced way, and the aim was "to increase and spread the negative perception against the Turkish Armed Forces."

"The armed forces is aware that circles who have plotted these dirty games and tried to show the armed forces as a crime gang, will maintain their prejudice and go on with their baseless accusations," Cubuklu said.

Cubuklu said the armed forces had "never taken part in an illegal act" and it would never do so.

The armed forces would "continue to fulfil all its activities within the framework of its authorization" and laws like it had done so far, Gen. Cubuklu also said.


AA


Related news reports:

Envelope with bullets posted to plot probe officials in Turkey

Turkish court rejects military demand over Arinc plot probe searches

Second raid on army office under way, Turkey's PM defends plot probe

8 Turkish army officiers detained in probe on assassination plot

Last Mod: 22 Ocak 2010, 15:22
Add Comment