A Turkish court on Wednesday remanded five more military officers in custody after they were charged of involvement in a plot to overthrow the AK Pqrty government, Turkish media reported.
Seven senior officers had already been charged at the start of the day in an investigation which some analysts say jars military role in politics in the European Union-candidate country, Reuters said.
Former chiefs of Air Force, Navy andwere also among about 50 officers detained by police in a sweep Monday.
Economy Minister Ali Babacan attempted to ease concerns, saying the government was trying to put the military under civilian rule as in the West.
"Transformations may sometimes be painful," Babacan told a conference of foreign investors in Istanbul. "We are trying to make Turkey's democracy first class."
Taraf newspaper this week reported that sentries at a military unit were ordered to use the code: "Vile" and password: "Prime Minister" an apparent reflection of the tensions.
Deputy Prime Minister Cemil Cicek visited military headquarters Tuesday night to discuss the report. The military said it had launched an investigation.
The alleged criminal network that came to be known as "Ergenekon" was revealed after police seized 27 grenades, TNT explosives and fuses in a shanty house in Istanbul on June 12, 2007 and Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office launched an investigation into weapons.
Police waged several waves of operations in several provinces and detained dozens of people, including retired senior army officers, journalists, scholars and businessmen, for their alleged involvement in the network.
The 12th High Criminal Court which is hearing the case accepted three indictments with thousands of pages so far.
AgenciesLast Mod: 25 Şubat 2010, 12:21