Turkey's military broke its silence on Wednesday over reports that two officers had been detained on suspicion of plotting to assassinate a deputy prime minister, saying they were premature as police investigations were incomplete.
Turkish media told the reports last Saturday's detentions in Ankara for the past few days, but there had been no official confirmation until the military issued its statement on Wednesday.
Media had an incomplete picture of Saturday's detentions and police were still investigating the matter, the statement said. "The truth about this case will be learned only after the court completes its investigation," it added.
The two men had been released after their cars and homes were searched, it said. Police had found no guns or voice recording machines, although computers and storage devices were confiscated as possible evidence.
Newspapers said the detained officers were suspected of conspiring to kill Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc. Some reports linked them to suspects named in an investigation into an alleged ultra-nationalist network, known as Ergenekon.
The military also said in the statement that the men had been arrested while conducting an official investigation into "a military official suspected of leaking information".
While the case has been followed closely by the public, many people don't know whom to believe. The suicide of several officers linked to the Ergenekon probe, the most recent on Sunday, has added to the mystery.
Investigations into Ergenekon initially won public support from Turks tired of their democracy being undermined by militant secularists embedded in the judiciary, armed forces and civil service -- often referred to as the "Deep State".
Earlier this month, prosecutors called in three retired commanders to testify in the
"This may get to the point where it causes conflict among institutions of the state," General Ilker Basbug said.
Last Mod: 24 Aralık 2009, 16:54