First Army Military Prosecutor's Office said on Friday that observations and examinations carried out so far had showed that the plan "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer) and several other action plans "did not include any accurate items".
The Prosecutor's Office released a statement and said, "a news report appeared in a daily and some tv channels today that an expert assigned by Military Prosecutor's Office confirmed Balyoz coup plan. The investigation carried out by the office still continues. Consequently, it is not possible to say that seminar activities in question constituted the coup plan."
"An expert was assigned upon the necessity of technical information for the seminar activities within the scope of the ongoing investigation. However, report of the expert turned into a news report in a way misleading public opinion. The report, upon a request by Istanbul Specially Authorized Public Prosecutor's Office, was delivered to an official assigned by them on February 24, 2010," the statement also said.
Police detained on Monday, February 22, a number of military officers, including former commanders of Turkish air and naval forces, over alleged military plans to overthrow the government.
News reports published in several newspapers claimed that some senior officers prepared a coup plan named "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer) in 2003 including acts like bombing mosques and even shooting down Turkey's own jets.
AAGüncelleme Tarihi: 27 Şubat 2010, 12:01