Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that the government expected prosecutor to prepare the indictment on Ergenekon probe as soon as possible, adding that "darkness would be illuminated at the end of this investigation."
Earlier in the day, several Turkish figures, including retired senior army officers, were taken into custody within the scope of Ergenekon investigation, police said.
Erdogan said police executed the decision of the high criminal court.
Among those taken into custody were retired Gen. Hursit Tolon; Ankara representative of Cumhuriyet daily Mustafa Balbay; chairperson of Ankara Chamber of Commerce (ATO) Sinan Aygun, and Kemalist Thought Association (ADD) head retired Gen. Sener Eruygur.
Police said a total of 7 people were taken into custody in Turkish capital Ankara. Police also said one more person, Professor Ercument Ovali who was the head of a private medical center in the northeastern province of Trabzon, was detained in the morning as well. All detained people would be taken to Istanbul, police added.
The criminal network that calls itself "Ergenekon" was revealed after police seized hand grenades, TNT explosives and fuses in a house in Istanbul on June 12th, 2007.
Dozens of people were taken into custody since then, including senior journalist Ilhan Selcuk, editor of daily Cumhuriyet.
Last Mod: 01 Temmuz 2008, 16:29