At least two people were killed and up to 11 were trapped after a high-rise building under construction collapsed in the Azerbaijani capital Baku on Tuesday, news reaching here said.
Two bodies had been recovered from the debris and another two injured men were rescued and sent to hospital, the country's Emergency Ministry spokesman Tural Museyibov was quoted as saying.
State-run Azerbaijan Television reported that 12 of the building's planned 16 stories had been completed at the time of the collapse.
Officials attributed the accident to the builders' malpractice, adding that two representatives of the construction company had been detained.
Rescuers said one of those trapped managed to get a telephone call through, saying that three more workers were with him, though in unknown condition, the Interfax news agency reported.
Azerbaijani prosecutor general Zakir Garalov told reporters that he had issued an order to initiate a criminal case over the incident based on violations of safety rules during construction.
At present, the collapse spot has been cordoned off by police and only teams of rescuers are allowed in to clear the rubble and search for survivors.
Last Mod: 29 Ağustos 2007, 18:28