UN removes 5 ex-Taliban officials from sanctions list

US-led forces toppled the Taliban government, invading the country that still goes on for years.

UN removes 5 ex-Taliban officials from sanctions list
The United Nations said on Tuesday that a Security Council committee removed five former senior Taliban officials from its sanctions list, something Afghan President Hamid Karzai has been pushing for.

US-led forces toppled the Taliban government, invading the country that still goes on for years.

The United Nations said in a statement that the decision was made on Monday on the basis of a review of the original listings and the five would no longer be subject to international travel bans and asset freezes.

Karzai had been pushing for Taliban names to be removed from the list and was planning to raise the issue at a conference on Afghanistan in London on Thursday.

The decision came days before a 60-nation conference in London to set a framework for handing security over to Afghan forces.

All five were high-ranking members of the former Taliban government. Four were listed as former foreign minister Wakil Ahmad Muttawakil, former deputy minister of commerce Fazal Mohammad, former Taliban press officer Shams-us-Safa Aminzai and former deputy minister of planning Mohammad Musa Hottak.

It said the fifth is former deputy minister of frontier affairs Abdul Hakim and was now a governor of Uruzgan province. It did elaborate on the status of the others.

All five were put on the U.N. blacklist in 2001. The list contains about 500 names, including 142 linked to the Taliban.

Agencies

Last Mod: 27 Ocak 2010, 16:39
Add Comment