UN's Ban plans trip to quake-devastated Haiti
Ban Ki-moon said he would soon travel to Haiti, which was hit by an earthquake earlier this week that killed tens of thousands of Haitians and dozens of U.N. staff.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday he would soon travel to Haiti, which was hit by an earthquake earlier this week that killed tens of thousands of Haitians and dozens of U.N. staff.
"I myself will go to Haiti very soon, both to show solidarity with the people of Haiti and our U.N. staff and to assess the situation for myself," Ban told reporters.
The latest confirmed death toll among U.N. personnel in Haiti was 37, Ban's spokesman Martin Nesirky said. Of those, 36 worked for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti, MINUSTAH, and one from the U.N. World Food Program.
Nesirky said there were around 330 U.N. personnel missing or unaccounted for out of roughly 12,000 in Haiti.
Ban said the United Nations was focusing on more than its own personnel and was trying to coordinate rescue efforts from the Port-au-Prince airport.
"We are still in the search and rescue phase, and we are trying to save as many lives as possible," Ban said.
"A major humanitarian effort is now well underway," he said. "Although it is inevitably slower and more difficult than any of us would wish, we are mobilizing all resources as fast as we possibly can."
Reuters Last Mod: 16 Ocak 2010, 12:09