US detains suspected gunman over Orlando killing
A gunman opened fire inside a high-rise office building in Orlando, Florida, killing one person and wounding five others, the mayor chief said.
United States police took into custody on Friday a suspected gunman who opened fire inside a high-rise office building in Orlando, Florida, killing one person and wounding five others, the mayor and the local police chief said.
A video provided by Channel 13 News showed Jason Rodriguez being taken into custody by police officers in Orlando, Fla.
Rodriguez, 40, opened fire Friday in the offices of an engineering firm where he was let go more than two years ago, authorities said, killing at least one person and injuring five others
The suspected gunman, who fled the Gateway Center building in downtown Orlando after the incident, was later apprehended at his mother's home, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Police Chief Val Demmings told reporters.
"There is one confirmed fatality," Demmings said. Local media had earlier reported two people killed in the shooting.
The shooting, coming a day after a mass shooting at a U.S. army base in Texas which killed 13 people, caused panic in and around the Orlando office building as armed police moved in and evacuated workers.
Orlando police said the suspect was a former employee at the office of an engineering and architecture company in the building who had returned to the location and started firing.
The Orlando Sentinel said bodies were found on the 12th and 8th floors of the building.
"I can confirm to you that we have multiple victims - I'm not going to give you the number, or status -- that were taken to local hospitals," said Sergeant Barbara Jones.
She said the suspected gunman was reported to be a former employee of a company with offices in the building.
Agencies Güncelleme Tarihi: 06 Kasım 2009, 22:47