World Bulletin / News Desk
International aid convoy said some members will start a hunger strike on Sunday in protest at the Egyptian government's refusal to allow the convoy entry onto its soil.
Sunday marks Israel's devastating offensive into besieged Gaza land that killed nearly 1500 Palestinians, with a third of children and wounded more than 5000 Gazans.
Last week 16 rights groups including Amnesty International and Oxfam issued a joint statement saying the world has betrayed civilians in the Gaza Strip by failing to end the Israeli blockade of the enclave.
Viva Palestina said in a statement, "diplomatic negotiations are also taking place between the Turkish and Egyptian governments over the convoy's entry to Egypt."
However, Egyptian government blocked on Saturday 16 Turkish lawmakers from ruling AK party to entry country among "Freedom convoy for Gaza", a member of Turkey's IHH organisation told World Bulletin.
Turkish Prime Minister and head of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said that he supported the convoy and urged Egypt to allow them to enter.
Analysts said that the move of Egypt may rise tension between Turkey and Egypt.
Husnu Tuna, MP from Konya said that "We wanted to enter Egypt within the convoy. But Egypt blocked this according to information that I took from our Foreign Ministry. Our Foreign Ministry is enable."
"This is a convoy for peace and humanity. I can't make of the attitute of Egypt."
IHH, Turkey's main humanitarian aid agency, has 63 vehicles travelling on the convoy.
"Spirits are high"
The aid convoy said the members will also mark the first anniversary of the beginning of Israel's attack by holding a march through Aqaba, jointly with the Jordanians. In the evening, more than 1,400 candles will be lit for a vigil.
The Viva Palestina statement said "hunger strikers will consume only liquids until the convoy is allowed entry into Egypt."
Organisers of the Gaza Freedom March had earlier said they would try to resist the ban after Egypt turned down their request to pass through Rafah, the Gaza Strip's only crossing that bypasses Israel.
"We plead to you to let the Gaza Freedom March continue so that we can join the Palestinians of Gaza to march together on December 31," the activists said in a statement addressed to Mubarak.
The Syrian government has also provided aid and vehicles, as has the government of Malaysia. More than 400 people from 17 countries are travelling on the 150 vehicle convoy, which is taking medical, humanitarian and educational aid to Gaza.
Last Mod: 28 Aralık 2009, 12:28
The convoy departed London on 6 December and have travelled nearly 3,000 miles across Europe and the Middle East. However, the convoy and its cargo of aid is now stopped in the Jordanian port town of Aqaba, having been denied entry into Egypt.
It was at 11.25 am on December 27 2008, that Israel dropped its first bombs on the besieged population of Gaza. Three weeks later, following a sustained air, land and sea assault.
British MP, George Galloway, who is travelling with the convoy, said, "Israel has kept Gaza under siege for three-and-half years against international law. It has not allowed aid or rebuilding materials in following its attack on Gaza earlier this year. Our convoy is determined to break the siege and take in urgently needed supplies."
"Spirits are high in our camp in Aqaba, and we are going nowhere except to Gaza," he said.