Yemen govt, southerners report clashes, Saudi bombing
The Yemeni government and southerner fighters reported new fighting in the north of the poor Arab country.
The Yemeni government and southerner fighters reported new fighting on Tuesday in the north of the poor Arab country.
The Yemeni Defence Ministry said on its website on Tuesday government troops attacked fighter positions and hideouts in the al-Malahidh area in the mountainous province of Saada, the scene of heavy fighting for months.
The fighters, known as Houthis after their leaders' clan name, said on their website Saudi planes had flown 16 sorties, adding that the al-Malahidh area among others had been shelled.
The fighters often report attacks by Yemeni and Saudi fighter planes. Riyadh is an ally of Yemen but denies providing military aid, saying it only defends its own territory against rebels.
The reports could not be verified as journalists and aid workers have limited access to the conflict area. Saudi officials could not be immediately reached.
Southerner fighters launched a rebellion in 2004, complaining of social, economic and religious marginalisation. Both the rebels and the government deny their aims are sectarian.
The conflict drew in neighbouring Saudi Arabia last month after rebels staged a cross-border incursion into the world's biggest oil exporter.
The southerner figters often report attacks by Yemeni and Saudi fighter planes. Riyadh is an ally of Yemen's but denies providing it with military aid, saying it only defends its own territory against rebels.
Reuters Last Mod: 30 Aralık 2009, 08:40