Yemen fighters on Sunday denied government accusations that they had broken a truce and said authorities were using humanitarian issues as a pretext to press ahead with attacks against them in the north of the country.
Yemen said on Saturday the northern fighters reignited fighting in Saada province by breaking a truce designed to allow access for humanitarian aid.
An offshoot of Shia Islam, Zaidis are a minority in mainly Sunni Yemen but form the majority community in the north, some of whom want a return to the imamate, which was overthrown in a 1962 coup. The conflict first began in 2004.
"The continued attacks on villages immediately after its declaration (shows) that it (the government) is not seeking to stop the war, but trying to deceive and exploit the issue of the displaced people and deliver military supplies to sites besieged in the provinces of Saada and Amran," said a statement from the office of the opposition group's leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi.
Both sides have previously rejected ceasefire offers by the other party.
The fighters published footage on Sunday that showed what they said were captured government buildings and burnt out tanks. The government also said on Sunday it had killed four fighters in separate attacks against authorities.
U.N. aid agencies say more than 100,000 people, many of them children, have fled their homes during the surge in fighting. They launched an appeal in Geneva this week for $23.5 million to help Yemen.
Thousands are thought to be staying in tented camps. Information about the conflict has been hard to verify because northern provinces have been closed to media.
Last Mod: 06 Eylül 2009, 12:06