Yemen Houthis 'withdrawing from Saudi land'

The leader of Yemeni Houthi announced the withdrawal of Zaidi fighters from positions they had been occupying inside Saudi Arabia.

Yemen Houthis 'withdrawing from Saudi land'

The leader of Yemeni Houthi announced on Monday the withdrawal of Zaidi fighters from positions they had been occupying inside Saudi Arabia since fighting broke out in November.

"We announce our full withdrawal from all Saudi territory," said Abdul Malak al-Huthi in an audio message.

"To avoid more bloodshed and to stop aggression on civilians ... we offer this initiative," Houthi said in an audio recording posted on the Internet.

He warned that if Saudi Arabia did not end its hostilities in return, the fighters would wage an "open war" on the world's top oil exporter.

The conflict raging in the north has displaced around 200,000 people, according to the United Nations.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Monday that humanitarian conditions in northern Yemen are worse than they have ever been and that fighting had "dramatically worsened" the fate of Yemeni civilians.

Saudi Arabia had on January 12 announced that Shiite fighters were ousted from their last foothold within the kingdom, but the fighters swiftly denied the report saying they were still in control of Al-Jabiri border village.


Agencies

Last Mod: 26 Ocak 2010, 09:56
Add Comment