Malaka - the jewel of Malaysia

Malaka was added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 2008.

Malaka - the jewel of Malaysia

Composed of thousands islands and a multicultural society, Malaysia is a wonderful hotspot for travelers who are seeking history, natural beauty and a mixture of different cultures.

One of the several attractive cities, Malaka, comes to the forefront for its strategic importance along with other touristic characteristics. Various nations had fought to seize control in Malaka due to the strategic strait going through the city. In the15th century, the autonomous Malaka Sultanate had been taken over first by the Portuguese, then the Dutch, and finally the British. All the previous states that controlled the city left considerable historical pieces such as a Dutch water mill and a Portuguese castle.



One can clearly observe the European impact on the city’s architecture. Malaka was added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 2008. Two bridges binding the two sides of the Malaka strait is among the symbols of the city. As a reflection of cultural heterogeneity, Malaka’s Chinese neighborhood is booming with Chinese culture. At the same time, Muslims rush to mosques during praying times. Therefore, the city is a rare example of the mixture of Chinese and Muslim cultures.

The house of Sheikh Shemseddin Sumatrani, an influential religious figure in Malaka, was transformed into a museum, constituting a prominent part of Islamic architecture. Modern structures are also found as one goes to the north of Malaka River.



Malaka is known as a touristic city today. Hotels serve for tourists along the river. They enjoy boat tours through the river and can relax in the restaurants and cafes along it. Some of the most touristic places in Malaka are the mosques. Fathur Rahman Mosque qnd Kampung Hulu Mosque are some of the rare combinations of Malay and Chinese culture, and Kling mosque is designed according to Indian Islamic architecture.

Fathur Rahman is considered the meeting point of Muslims. Having been built in 1730, the mosque got today’s appearance after renovation work in 1978. Composed of two blocks, the mosque has a mixture of Chinese and Islamic architecture.

Whereas Fathur Rahman is located in the city center, Kampung Hulu Mosque is in a village close to the center. The huge traditional Malay drum hanging over the mosque’s door represents Malay components in Islamic culture. The drums had been used for call for prayers in some religions other than Islam and it was also useful for communication during wars. The two gun carriages standing in front of the mosque indicate the mosque was in the front line in the past wars.

Indian Muslim businessmen sponsored the construction of the Kling Mosque in 1748. The distinguishing character of the mosque is that it is built by wood. Having similar architectural properties with other regional mosques, Kling has gold-decorated columns which sparks interest. While frugality dominates the mihrab, golden designs in the pulpit attract attention.

The grave yard juxtaposing the mosque stands like a witness to the region’s past.

KUZEY NEWS AGENCY

Last Mod: 25 Ağustos 2014, 13:04
Add Comment