World Bulletin / News Desk
Afghan President Hamid Karzai criticised his NATO allies on Sunday over an air strike in the country's east that he said killed five civilians, including three children.
The strike on Friday followed a mortar attack on a joint NATO-Afghan base near a village just outside Jalalabad city, NATO and local officials said.
Civilian casualties are straining the relationship between Karzai and his international backers just as Washington tries to finalise a vital security pact with Kabul.
"President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the NATO air strike in which he says five civilians, including three students aged 10, 14 and 16, were killed in eastern Nangarhar province on Friday night," a statement from Karzai's palace said.
The three students were brothers, the statement said.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) initially denied civilians had been involved in the attack, but later launched an investigation into the incident.
"ISAF takes all allegations of civilian casualties seriously and is working with our Afghan partners to confirm the details," a NATO spokesman said on Saturday.
Civilian casualties have been on the rise in the Afghan war, adding to concern about security as Western forces prepare to leave by the end of next year.Last Mod: 07 Ekim 2013, 11:22