World Bulletin / News Desk
The siege of a Kabul guesthouse used by a U.S.-based aid group ended on Friday after Afghan security forces killed the last Taliban gunman holed up inside, a military commander said.
At least one Afghan child was killed, he added.
"The fight is over. Five attackers are dead," Qadam Shah Shaheem, commander of 111 Military Corps Kabul, told Reuters.
"One detonated his car loaded with explosives, three others detonated explosives attached to their bodies inside the building, and one was shot by security forces. All four foreigners are alive and safe now."
The Afghan capital is on high alert and the atmosphere is nervous ahead of next week's presidential election which the Taliban have vowed to disrupt.
The Taliban claimed responsibility, saying in a statement the target was a foreign guesthouse and a church.
Roots for Peace, a U.S.-based aid group, said earlier that four people were trapped in its guesthouse.
A Reuters witness at the scene saw more than 10 people who appeared to be foreigners being evacuated from the building.
The nation of 30 million holds a presidential election on April 5 to elect a successor to outgoing President Hamid Karzai. It will also be a test for foreign donors hesitant about bankrolling the government after the bulk of NATO troops stationed in Afghanistan withdraw this year.
Violence has spiralled ahead of the vote, with Taliban suicide bombers and gunmen attacking an election commission office in Kabul on Tuesday. Last week, nine people including an AFP journalist and an election observer, were killed in a brazen attack on a highly fortified hotel in Kabul.Last Mod: 28 Mart 2014, 17:52