World Bulletin/News Desk
South Korea’s highly competitive education system was shaken Monday as the country’s exam board chief offered to quit over two inaccurate questions on this month’s national college entrance test.
Nearly 650,000 test-takers sat down November 13 for the College Scholastic Aptitude Test, or CSAT, for a grueling day of questions on various subjects -- the culmination of years of after-school education for many South Korean students.
But after the exam, thousands of complaints flooded the question and answer board of the Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation -- focusing on errors in the test’s English and biology sections.
Becoming the institute’s third chief to step down, Kim Sung-hoon told a televised briefing his organization had fallen short of expectations, after a similar controversy over the world geology section last year.
“We did our best this year to prevent erroneous questions like in last year's exam but again came to write faulty questions, causing chaos and inconvenience among exam takers, their parents and teachers,” Kim admitted.
Also speaking to reporters, Education Minister Hwang Woo-yea vowed to “investigate the root cause of the problem.”
“I express deep regret and recognize an urgent need to improve the question-making process,” Hwang said.
As for this year’s college hopefuls, the institute has announced it will now recognize two correct answers to the questions under scrutiny.
The move could affect thousands of students as the test’s overall score relies on a relative grading system.Last Mod: 24 Kasım 2014, 11:27