There are five men in a group of suicide attackers that targeted central Kabul on Tuesday morning, a senior police official said. At least four civilians have been wounded in the complex assault.
"There are five attackers involved but I can not give you more details because the operation is ongoing," said Mohammad Zahir, head of Kabul's Criminal Investigation Unit.
Nadira Hayat Burhani, the deputy head of the health ministry, said four wounded civilians had been admitted to two hospitals.
At least four loud explosions rocked the Afghan capital on Wednesday, near Kabul's embassy district, and gunfire was heard after one of the blasts.
Police and other security officials blocked roads around the U.S. embassy and other diplomatic missions, and said the attack had happened at a nearby square.
"There has been an explosion and gunfire, there are several armed attackers in Abdul Haq Square," said Mohammad Zahir, head of Kabul's Crime Investigation Unit.
"There could be suicide bombers but it is unclear at the moment."
ReutersLast Mod: 13 Eylül 2011, 14:12