HK chief exec warns against new democracy protests

- Reiterates government line that controversial 2017 voting method would have to comply with Basic Law and decisions of Chinese government.

HK chief exec warns against new democracy protests
World Bulletin / News Desk
 
Chief Executive CY Leung warned Tuesday against new democracy protests ahead of tomorrow's opening of a second round of public consultations on how to elect the city's next chief executive in 2017.

Beijing has said Hong Kong voters can choose the former British colony's leader, but it will screen candidates first. That decision promoted 79 days of protests and road blockades from the end of September.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Leung reiterated the government's unyielding line, saying the voting method in 2017 would have to comply with the Basic Law, the territory's mini constitution, and the decisions of the Chinese government. 

Analysts have said they see the public consultation as a public relations exercise designed to create semblances of democracy and public accountability.

Meanwhile, the Legislative Council Commission said it would impose three temporary restrictions to prevent the protest zone next to the Legislative Council building from being occupied again after it is reopened, the Ming Pao newspaper reported Tuesday.

The zone - at the center of protesters' main road blockade in the district of Admiralty, where many government buildings are located - had been closed for cleaning and was due to be reopened Wednesday.

The restrictions - which Legislative Council president Jasper Tsang has said are aimed at ensuring safety and the reasonable use of facilities - will see the zone open only between 7am and 11pm; the number of protesters capped at 850, and tents, sleeping bags and other such equipment considered a fire hazard.

They are being imposed before CY Leung presents his policy address and then attends a Q & A session at the Legislative Council next week.

Separately, the government published a "public sentiment" report on the recent protests that it had promised students leaders during the demonstrations.

The report said there were "still divergent views in the community on how to elect the chief executive by universal suffrage," according to public broadcaster RTHK.

On Monday the justice department applied to formally charge 20 activists for obstructing bailiffs clearing one of the protest camps, in Mong Kok, in November.

Dozens of other protest leaders -- including one of the founders of the Occupy movement, Hong Kong university academic Benny Tai, and student leader Alex Chow -- have been requested to turn themselves in to police, according to local media reports.

 
Last Mod: 06 Ocak 2015, 13:58
Add Comment