Iran expects to hold more nuclear talks: foreign minister

"I can't say it with certainty but if everything proceeds normally then there should be further negotiations," Iranian foreign minister Ali Akbar Salehi told Austria's Der Standard.

Iran expects to hold more nuclear talks: foreign minister

World Bulletin / News Desk

Iran expects to hold more talks with world powers on its nuclear programme following an round of negotiations in Istanbul earlier this month, its foreign minister said in a newspaper interview published on Monday.

"I can't say it with certainty but if everything proceeds normally then there should be further negotiations," Iranian foreign minister Ali Akbar Salehi told Austria's Der Standard.

"A breakdown (in talks) is in nobody's interests. The gaps can only be closed through talking."

Salehi said, however, that Iran's right to uranium enrichment had to be recognised from the outset. "It's a matter of principle," he said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said earlier this month that Iran's proposals made in talks with the so-called P5+1 group of the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany were "non-starters".

Nuclear-armed Israel threathens to attack Iran.

Salehi said Iran did not want to shut down the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway at the neck of the Gulf through which 40 percent of the world's seaborne oil exports pass.

"The Persian Gulf is a lifeline for Iran and for the region and for the international community. We are rational. We do not want to cut off this lifeline and cause suffering," he said.

"But if we are forced, then Iran must do everything to defend its sovereignty and its national interests."

Military analysts have cast doubt on Iran's willingness to block the slender waterway, given the massive U.S.-led retaliation it would likely incur.

Last Mod: 30 Temmuz 2012, 12:06
Add Comment