World Bulletin / News Desk
North Korean national news agency on Tuesday announced that they have successfully conducted the third nuclear test of the country.
"The state conducted the third nuclear test successfully for the national security of the country to protect against antagonist policies of the US", according to Xinhua agency.
On the other hand, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) announced that they scheduled an emergency meeting to convene on Tuesday to discuss the nuclear test of North Korea.
Moreover, the White House called the North Korea's latest nuclear test "a highly provocative act" which threatens the security of the US and the international peace.
South Korean Ministry of Defense had stated they were certain that an earthquake had taken place at 11:57 a.m. local time at or near the site where the North's two previous tests were conducted in 2006 and 2009 and considered it "a nuclear test conducted by North Korea."
Chinese seismological authorities said an earthquake measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale took place at a depth of "0" kilometers at the mentioned time.
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) also confirmed the seismic waves at the area where nuclear tests were conducted in 2006 and 2009.
Following the nuclear test, South Korean army switched alarm status for potential cross border provocations.The Pyongyang government of North Korea had conducted similar tests previously in 2006 and 2009. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the recent nuclear test of North Korea.
"The nuclear test is considered a clear violation of the decisions of the UN Security Council", said Ban Ki-moon.
Ban, once again called North Korea to disarm and stated that UN Security Council would make the necessary moves in regards to the issue.
Last Mod: 12 Şubat 2013, 11:00