World Bulletin / News Desk
Eleven more persons were confirmed dead on Sunday and around 30 people are feared buried alive after landslides hit several areas in the central Philippines due the continuing assault of a tropical storm.
Jun Basilio, head of the island of Biliran’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, confirmed to GMA News the recovery of the bodies from two towns, which put the death toll from Tropical Storm Urduja -- also known as Kai-tak -- at 14.
Earlier, authorities reported three people were killed before the storm’s landfall.
Basilio echoed earlier official statements that at least 26 more people are the subject of ongoing search and rescue operations.
Morillo said several bridges and roads were destroyed by the effects of the storm, which left communities isolated from the mainland Leyte province.
Morillo also said electricity has not been restored to the province.
Meanwhile, in a report Sunday, the Philippines’ National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) said that nearly 88,000 people -- equivalent to over 20,000 families -- had been displaced by the first major typhoon to strike the country this year.
After making landfall in Central Philippines’ Eastern Samar province Saturday afternoon, Urduja maintained its strength as a new storm threatens to hit the country by Tuesday or Wednesday.
The report also documented a total of 19 injured persons, mostly due to vehicular accidents, falling debris, and landslides.Güncelleme Tarihi: 17 Aralık 2017, 16:49