S.Korea proposes military talks with North on Sept 30

South Korea proposed holding working level military talks with the North on Sept 30, the Defence Ministry in Seoul said on Sunday.

S.Korea proposes military talks with North on Sept 30

South Korea proposed holding working level military talks with the North on Sept 30, the Defence Ministry in Seoul said on Sunday amid a sign of easing in tension on the peninsula.

Last week, North Korea offered to hold military talks with the South on Sept. 24 at the border truce village Panmunjom.

Seoul proposed that the two sides discuss responsible steps by the North on the sinking of a South Korea's warship, Pyongyang's criticism against the South and a disputed sea border off their west coast, the ministry said in a statement.

The two Koreas have been in a stand-off since Seoul, with Washington's backing, accused Pyongyang of torpedoing its warship in March, killing 46 sailors. The North denies the charge.

The apparent thaw in ties comes as the North struggles to deal with the impact of months of flooding on its already weak economy and prepares for political succession as the health of leader Kim Jong-il deteriorates.

On Friday, the South sent rice to the North, the first in three years, the latest of a series of conciliatory moves between the rivals.


Reuters

Last Mod: 19 Eylül 2010, 12:26
Add Comment